Last Modified Date: July 24, 2023
Field Ethos together with our affiliates and subsidiaries (“Field Ethos”, “we”, “our”, and “us”) provide rich content across platforms in print, online, film, social media and on the Field Ethos podcast (collectively, “Content”). Content includes our perspective and the perspective of other storytellers through our brand. We provide Content through our website, fieldethos.com (the “Site”), our social media, and our podcast (collectively, the “Content Services”). One of our main priorities is protecting the privacy of our business and marketing partners, visitors, customers, subscribers, listeners, and social media followers (collectively, “you” and “your”).
1. REVISIONS AND UPDATES
2. COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
During your use of the Content Services, Field Ethos collects Personal Information, in various ways, including:
· Directly from you when you provide it to us;
· Automatically as you use the Content Services; and
· From third parties.
a. Information Provided by You
We may collect Personal Information and other information directly from you when you use the Content Services, such as when you subscribe to the Field Ethos Journal, purchase from our store, or book a trip with Outrider. We may collect the following types of Personal Information based on your interactions with the Content Services:
· The Outrider Dispatch Subscription, including name, email;
· Field Ethos Journal Quarterly Subscription, including name, email, mailing address;
· Purchase from the Field Ethos Store, including name, email, phone number, mailing address;
· Pre-Trip Questionnaire, including name, email, date of birth, passport number, mailing address, emergency contact information (name, relationship, phone number), medical conditions;
· Book Your Trip with Outrider, including name, email, phone number, contents of message; and
· Contact Information, including name, email, phone number, contents of message.
Some of the information that we may collect as a result of providing the services is particularly sensitive (e.g., passport number). We only collect this information as provided by or consented by you. Such sensitive information is only shared for the purpose of confirming trip details for the trip you request or as consented for and will not be shared or used by us for any other purposes.
b. Information Automatically Collected
Like many other websites or apps, Field Ethos and its providers may collect and store information that is generated automatically as you navigate through the Content Services (such as your IP address, location, listening history, podcasts you subscribe to or have subscribed to; podcast categories you have marked as being of interest to you, browsing history, search history, viewing history, and browser type). This information is primarily needed to maintain the security and operation of the Content Services, and for our internal analytics so that we can improve the Content Services; however, we may also use this information for marketing purposes. We may use the following technologies to collect certain types of information:
· Log Files. Field Ethos follows a standard procedure of using log files. These files log visitors when they visit websites. All hosting companies do this and a part of hosting services’ analytics. The information collected by log files include internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, Internet Service Provider (ISP), date and time stamp, referring/exit pages, and possibly the number of clicks. These are not linked to any information that is personally identifiable. The purpose of the information is for analyzing trends, administering the Content Services, tracking users’ movement on the Content Services, and gathering demographic information.
· Cookies and Web Beacons. Like any other website, Field Ethos uses ‘cookies’ on the Content Services. These cookies are used to store information including visitors’ preferences, and the pages on the Content Services that the visitor accessed or visited. The information is used to optimize the users’ experience by customizing our web page content based on visitors’ browser type and/or other information. You can configure your browser to accept cookies, reject cookies or notify you when a cookie is being used; however, if you do so it may render your computer unable to take advantage of certain personalized features of the Content Services. For more information on how to opt-out of cookies, please visit the Choices section below.
· Third Party Cookies.
o Facebook Pixel. We use the “visitor action pixels” from Facebook Inc. on the Content Services. This allows user specific behavior to be tracked after they have been redirected to the advertiser’s website by clicking on a Facebook ad. This enables us to measure the effectiveness of Facebook ads for statistical and market research purposes. The data collected in this way is anonymous to us, in other words, we do not see the personal information of individual users. This data is stored and processed by Facebook. Facebook may link this information to your Facebook account and also use it for its own promotional purposes, in accordance with Facebook’s Data Usage Policy https://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/. You can regulate the collection of your data by Facebook pixel, or to the use of your data for the purpose of displaying Facebook ads by visiting the following address: https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=ads.
c. Information from Third Parties
In addition to collecting some Personal Information directly from you, we may collect Personal Information from third parties including our Affiliates and Subsidiaries, and business partners. You agree that the third-party providers of information, not Field Ethos, are responsible for maintaining your information with proper and sufficient accuracy and authority in accordance with all governing laws and regulations. We make no effort to verify any information for any purpose, including accuracy, legality, or non-infringement that we properly receive from third parties.
We may also receive information about you from social media platforms, when you interact with us on those platforms or access our content through social media. Please note that the information we may receive from those third parties (such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.) is governed by the privacy settings, policies and/or procedures of the applicable platform, and we strongly encourage you to review them before submitting any information using a social media platform.
3. USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will use the Personal Information you provide to us for a variety of purposes, including to:
• create and administer the Content Services;
• provide you with the product or information you may request from us;
• provide booking information for your trip with Outrider;
• provide the newsletter or quarterly Field Ethos journal;
• communicate regarding your participation in our trips;
• contact you for support and feedback requests;
• contact you to inform you of important changes or additions to the Content Services;
• send you administrative notices, offers and any other communications that we believe may be of interest to you;
• market to you;
• to better our podcast service offerings, for example to obtain an overview of your listening history to recommend podcasts you may like and to provide you with personalized ads and offerings based on your location and other Personal Information collected.
• operate, improve and maintain the Content Services;
• track and monitor web traffic;
• analyze trends and transactions;
• deliver relevant advertisements;
• improve understanding of customer needs and provide relevant services;
• support our internal and external business operations;
• fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it;
• fulfill any legal or regulatory requirements and any of our internal policies;
• fulfill other purposes disclosed at the time of collection;
• for any other purpose with your consent; and
4. DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We do not sell, share, rent, or otherwise disclose your Personal Information to any third parties, for monetary or other valuable consideration, except as described below:
• Parent Companies, Subsidiaries, & Affiliates. We may disclose Personal Information about you to our Parent Companies, Subsidiaries, and Affiliates.
• Service Providers and Contractors. We may disclose to service providers, contractors, or other third parties any or all of the information that we collect about you to conduct business on our behalf. These activities could include processing or making payments, maintaining the Content Services, or facilitating email delivery to you. Our service providers and contractors are contractually obligated to protect your Personal Information, including to keep your information confidential and to use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
• Business Partners. We may share your Personal Information with our business partners to provide you with a product or service (e.g., trips with Outrider) you may have requested. We may also share your Personal Information to business partners with whom we jointly offer the any products, services, or content.
• Advertising Partners. We may share your Personal Information with third party advertising partners, such as Google Display Advertising and Remarketing services and Facebook. These advertising partners may use first- and third-party cookies together to inform, optimize, and serve ads based on your past visits to the Content Services. You can opt out of these services using the Ads Preferences Manager or you can use the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on. These advertising partners may use this information (and similar information collected from other services) for purposes of delivering personalized advertisements to you when you visit digital properties within their networks, commonly referred to as “interest-based advertising.”
a. Sharing of Non-Personal Information and Aggregate Data
We may share Non-Personal Information and related aggregated information, your Personal Information that is no longer able to identify you directly, with third parties about how you interact with the Content Services, including log data for industry analysis and demographic profiling.
You have choices about how we use your Personal Information. Please understand that if you choose not to disclose information to us, it may affect your ability to use some features and functionalities of the Content Services.
Email. If you no longer wish to receive marketing or informational emails, you may choose not to by contacting us as specified in the Contact Information section below or by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link located at the bottom of marketing emails you may receive from us. Regardless of your choices regarding promotional communications and updates regarding content, we may send you administrative messages, service announcements, or other similar communications, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them.
SMS. In accordance with our Terms and Conditions, when you opt-in for SMS marketing, you provide consent for us to contact you via voice call or text, including manual, autodialed, and prerecorded calls and texts. You may limit or revoke these authorizations by following the instructions within the communications.
Your instructions to opt-out from these communications will be processed as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that exercising a marketing opt-out will not affect the services you receive and will not affect our right to contact you about the services to which you subscribe, including notifications regarding compliance obligations related to those services.
We and our service providers may use information about your interactions with the Content Services to predict your interests and select the ads you see on and off the Content Services. This is known as interest-based advertising. We may also use the information we have collected from you to enable us to display advertisements to our advertisers’ target audiences. Even though we do not disclose your Personal Information for these purposes without your consent, if you click on or otherwise interact with an advertisement, the advertiser may assume that you meet its target criteria. In providing interest-based ads, we follow the Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising developed by the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA“). We do not control third parties’ collection or use of your information to serve interest-based advertising. However, these third parties may provide you with ways to choose not to have your information collected or used in this way.
For more information about interest-based advertising and how you can opt out, visit:
o Digital Advertising Alliance: http://www.aboutads.info/choices
o Network Advertising Initiative: http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/
6. CONFIDENTIALITY & SECURITY
We have implemented reasonable measures designed to secure your Personal Information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure and can potentially be intercepted or incorrectly routed. Although we do our best to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee the security of your Personal Information transmitted to the Content Services. Any transmission of Personal Information is at your own risk.
7. THIRD PARTY WEBSITE
The Content Services may contain links to third-party websites, services, products, mobile applications and/or contain advertisements from third parties that are not affiliated with us – and which may link to other websites, services, or applications. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or other practices employed by other websites or third parties, including those using the Field Ethos or our Affiliates and Subsidiaries branding. We encourage you to review the privacy policies and practices of such third parties prior to using their websites, services, or application. We do not make any guarantee regarding those third-party websites, services, or applications, and we are not liable for any loss or damage caused by the use of such sites.
8. PUBLIC FORUMS
Any information, communications, or material of any type or nature that you voluntarily submit for viewing by third parties online or otherwise make your Personal Information publicly available online (collectively, “Public Forums”) – for example through comments and participation in forums or through email – is done at your own risk and without any expectation of privacy. We cannot be responsible for any unauthorized third-party use of such information, nor do we guarantee the privacy or safety of Public Forums. We encourage you to be wary of providing any of your Personal Information in such Public Forums.
9. INFORMATION RETENTION
We will retain your data for as long as necessary to perform the purpose in which it was collected and to enable us to provide the Content Services to you.
Another part of our priority is adding protection for children while using the internet. We encourage parents and guardians to observe, participate in, and/or monitor and guide their online activity. The Content Services are not directed to children under the age of 16. Field Ethos does not knowingly collect nor maintain any Personal Information from children under the age of 16. If you think that your child provided this kind of information, we strongly encourage you to contact us immediately and we will do our best efforts to promptly remove such information from our records.
11. INTERNATIONAL VISITORS
The Content Services are intended for visitors located within the United States and Canada. We may use service providers that operate in other countries, thus, your Personal Information may be processed in the United States or transferred to other locations where privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your state, province, or country. If you do not reside in the United States and provide Personal Information to us, please note that your Personal Information will be transferred, processed, collected, used, accessed and/or stored in the United States and subject to U.S. laws. The laws in the United States may not provide the same protections for your Personal Information as the jurisdiction in which you are located. Do not provide your Personal Information to us if you do not want this information to be transferred or processed outside of your country, or if the laws in your country restrict such transfers.
12. CONTACT INFORMATION